my house

I've returned from a long week at an event.  My wife and kids took some time while I was gone to visit the grandparents, so upon my return yesterday I came home to an empty house.  I've been alone all week, so it's only one more day to endure before I get to see family again.  Easy, right?

When I walk in to my house, I am always amazed at how clean my wife keeps it when I'm gone.  Apparently I am the messy one! LOL!  How she keeps up with all the laundry, dishes, toys, and house stuff, I will never know.  She is very attentive to the kids and holds down a pretty heavy-duty job too.  I married an amazing woman. 

I am inside my house.

It's big.
I've been living out of a two room box for a week.  Now I have access to all my food, my comfortable sofa & chair, my kitchen, my piano, and my most wonderful & comfortable bed.  My house.  Aaaaaaaaah....

It's quiet.
With two elementary kids, my house is not quiet very often.  I relish in the peacefulness of my house.

It's yard needs mowed.
As much as I hate being outside, mowing the lawn actually sounds good to me.  After being stuck in a convention center all week or in a hotel room, the thought of being outside of my house in the fresh, warm air is refreshing.

Sometimes it's too big.
With all the things inside my house, I see that I can be content with just a little of my house and still be okay.  My house does not define "me" or "my family".  God has allowed us the opportunity to have wonderful and comfortable things.  But my family is more important.  When they are here, my house becomes home.

Sometimes it's too quiet.
Without my kids and my wife here with me, my house is just a house.  I relish in the anticipation of my family returning.  When they are here, my house becomes home.

Sometimes the yard can wait.
Mowing the lawn is one of my worst jobs at my house.  I don't like being outside.  But I like it when my kids are running about, exercising and enjoying God's creation.  I like it when I see my daughter playing nicely with her friends and I like it when I see my son developing strong friendships with the "new kid down the street."  Sometimes the yard gets a little too overgrown.  But when my family motivates me to be outside, my house becomes home.

While the wait seems additionally long to see my family, I treasure the time to myself in my house.  Just me....and God.  We are talking more these days.  And being in my house allows me this special opportunity.
In just a few hours, my house will become home again.  And I am looking forward to that moment.