Pet Power!

Apparently, the ammonia has settled down a little. A couple weeks ago, we got more fish to add to our dwindling tank of plants & water...and they have survived! The kids are very happy! I'm happy because we increased our snail population by 3 - - we now have 5 slow-moving snails in the tank! They are quite the cool & creepy animals. I love to watch 'em "bloop" their mouths against the tank & quite possibly suck the crap off the glass. Gross? yes. Cool? definitely. The "blooping" is amazing to watch...I am mesmerized by their movements & can sit for almost 15 minutes mimicking that "blooping." yep. pretty sad. Oh! And we also replaced the ghost shrimp with 2 more. The aquarium is hoppin', stayin' alive, & movin' on up! :)

As most know, I am not a pet lover....pets are not people, they are not my friends, they do not comfort me, and they certainly do not deserve any love from me. I'm uncomfortable with dogs that sniff certain areas of my body, with cats who sneak up & rub their tails on my legs under a table, and with small things like guinea pigs or rabbits that look so cute & then wiggle/jerk/twitch unexpectedly to scare the bajeebies out of me! I do not like that they require major upkeep, including cleaning pee/poop. Leaving for a weekend not only requires getting the kids ready, it also requires getting a "pet sitter." Any volunteers??? I didn't think so....

Anyway....I have to admit, however, that I enjoy the fish tank in my family room. Easily maintained. Easy to feed - even on long weekends. I like to watch them. It's amazing that their whole life is that little square box on our table. Wonder if they can see "out of the box?" So much world they don't even know about.....

So. Fish. I can live with them. Yikes. The power of pets: are they changing my mindsets?