How....Can....We....

Over the years, I've taught myself to think on paper. 

I have a spiral notebook in my car because I think a lot there.  Driving to and from work is when I decompress my day...and I like to get that stuff on paper as much as possible.  When I'm working on a project at home, I usually keep a small pad of paper real close so I can jot down random ideas or thoughts. 

My notebook is filled with quotes from various books on leadership, change, or creativity.  I also transfer sermon notes that especially inspired me or thoughts about work-related issues that need solution ideas.  Occasionally I will use the notebook as a daily journal - - but I must admit: it's not that often!

Writing out notes while I'm reading a book or jotting down ideas about life are my way of getting my thoughts "out there" and workable.  If I kept them all inside my head, well....I'm not sure much would be getting done. I become much more productive when I see what needs to happen.  I also see the bigger picture of where those things need to be.  I can link ideas together (kinda like "mapping") and add drawings and swirlies as I think. Writing it out helps me remember things and also gives me the opportunity to reread it later on for another nugget of insight I might have missed the first time.

Most recently I was thinking about how I look at various changes in my routine, things I am unable to control.  And I came up with my immmediate response while writing out a myriad of thoughts: 
How Can We?

Getting it out on paper helps me try to solve things.  How Can We?  is my response to many of those issues. 
The HOW helps me think differently, ask questions, brainstorm, bounce ideas off someone else, and seek options for my dilemma.  The CAN helps me remember that there is a solution, it's possible and can be achieved.  And the WE piece helps me remember that I can't do it alone.  Involving others is almost always the better way to approach a solution.  I never know until I do so what can be created! 

How.....Can.....We.....
a simple question for most any complex situation.