A Great Day for a Race!


We did it!  
The Faust Family completed a 5K together! 

The day started out a little bleak, with a spitting of rain at the start.  We drove downtown early and parked, then walked to the "starting point" near Reds stadium.  Chaos was the word of the morning, with more than 4200 participants - the highest ever to participate!  We got into position on 2nd Street and counted down from 15 until the horn blasted, and we were off!

(We had a quick family meeting during the cattle herding and decided to start out walking, which we all agreed to.  Then, when the horn went off, we actually just stood there because there were what seemed like a billion other people merging into a tiny space to get through the "gate" and so we didn't actually start moving for another 5 minutes)

And then we were off!  Each mile was a bit more challenging than the previous, and we all had a great time walking, jogging, and even running a lot more than I thought we would!  As much as I thought I'd have to walk more, I surprised myself by breathing well and jogging/running without much problem.  It was so refreshing to feel the confidence and pride after working hard at home. 
My daughter is convinced we'll be doing the 10K next year!

The "Finish Swine" was the most fun.  The kids and I finished about 5 minutes before Mommy, so we had the opportunity to cheer her in and the kids really enjoyed that!  They called all of our names when we passed the finish line and it was an AWESOME family moment!  Especially when we all received 5K Flying Pig medals!  We were proud of each other for all coming in under 45 minutes, too!

I've always loved time with my family.  This day made me proud to be husband and daddy even more.  Maybe we will do the 10K next year.  As long as it's together, I'm up for anything!