Adventures in Dallas 2

After getting the bulk of the display at MOPS set up, I decided to spruce up the place with a few signs. In preparation for MOPS, I had made price signs for the items we were taking. I was, however, unable to finish the project due to my rushed predicament at the beginning of the week. I decided, then, to wait until arrival in Dallas to cut the price tags and attach them to the product. Apparently this was an abnormal thought for a traveler in my quandary.

Once I was back in my hotel room, I called the smiley face on my phone. It was labeled “Consider It Done” which made me smile. After working to establish high standards in customer service as a bookstore manager, I appreciate all the interesting ways to showcase service! I was impressed. Unfortunately, it appears that you can’t purchase scissors in a hotel…..something about liability. I guess they don’t want to be found guilty if I was to sue them after I cut off my fingers and/or stabbed myself in the leg. The nice lady did, however, tell me that she would check with the bellhop and even the retail store to see if she could find one for me. Apparently, they do have scissors…..they just do not lend them out to hotel guests. If I wanted to use them, I’d have to go to their areas and use them while in plain sight of their employees. Since I was in my jammies and didn’t want to change, I decided to just go to plan B. Plan B was to figure out something tomorrow.

Thursday was “tomorrow.” Exhibitors were allowed to finish setup from 8am-11am. I strolled down the hallway and found a Business Center just before the exhibit hall entrance. Ah. They’ll let me borrow scissors…..and they did. I was so excited to actually cut the price signs – my last resort was to rip them by hand! This would look much more professional. Then it occurred to me - - how was I going to attach the prices to the product?

If I’d been in Cincinnati, I would have had my handy-dandy tackle box in my car. Mind you, it’s not for fishing or anything. It’s my silly way to keep track of all the little things one would need for tasks such as this one. It contains a mini hammer, mini screwdriver, mini glue gun, staple gun, batteries, twist ties, plasti-tak, needles, pins, nails, and a tape measure. It also contains all kinds of other little things. What I needed was my scotch tape. I normally send one in the “supply box” from Standard, but alas, it was missing. The Business Center. Yes, it will have scotch tape to purchase……..for five dollars. Holy Mackerel! Five dollars?????!!!!! I guess they figure if people need it, they’ll buy it. And buy it I did.

I have almost used the entire roll. My signs are handwritten, but they’re fun and enticing! I tape them to baskets, books, tables, and product. I’m continuing to change the look of the booth by putting things on the table, taking things off the table, and moving them all around. And you guessed it, each time I make those moves, something sells! It’s like it’s in high demand or something - - like moving it from one place to another makes something “new.” Ah….Retail Management 101 at its best!

Was spending five dollars extreme for a roll of scotch tape? Yes.

Was it worth it? Yes.