How I Know My Kids Are Growing Up

It's been quite a while since my last post. I'm very busy at work and I'll explain the details in another blog.

For this one, I wanted to share some of the funny things that have happened recently - - and how I have realized that my kids are growing up faster than I previously thought!

How I know my daughter is growing up:
...Ele came to me this morning with a bowl of spaghetti for breakfast and the question: "How long does this need to cook in the microwave, Daddy?" I tell her about 30 seconds....then yell to her as she rushes downstairs: "...but don't climb on the counter to use the microwave! wait until I get down there!" I hear the grown-up reply (that prompts this blog subject), "I don't need to Daddy, I can already reach the buttons!" Amazing. My daughter, who in my mind is still so small, can now reach the buttons on the microwave and cook her own food!
...She dresses herself more like a model (so crazy stylish and modern!) instead of just throwing on a mismatched "does-this-look-okay" outfit to which I almost always replied "yes, honey."

How I Know My Son Is Growing Up:
...Ethan and I talk more about Star Wars & Indiana Jones (characters, episodes, and plots) than we ever did about Elmo and Buzz Lightyear.
...I now have a backseat driver: "Doesn't a yellow light mean 'slow down', Daddy?" and "This isn't the right way to _____, Daddy."

I am continually amazed at how fast they are growing up ~ and then what that means for me: I'm that much older!